Overview of the Best 3D Printing Pen
3D Printing pens are recent developments in modelling as a result of advancements in 3D designing technology. The best 3D pen enables users to make drawings in three dimensions which give clear and concise designs, and representations of initial abstract ideas possessed only by the user.
The 3D pen has a plastic component that’s heated to a liquid which is used to make drawings as it’s expelled from the nozzle of the pen. They have low power requirements, and their size and weight enable working with a single hand.
To those who are passionate about 3D printing pen, these pens offer endless possibilities of making their ideas real. Considering this is a new technology, still in its infancy, very few individuals and organizations understand it let alone use it.
Our site has been dedicated to giving users detailed reviews of 3D printing pens and their availability as well as price in the market. Our aim is to enable them to make informed choices on the best 3D pens for them after reviewing the different options available.
There is a whole lot of variety in 3D printing pens available to select from. We are dedicated to ensuring that you get what you seek, and that’s why we have outlined these four different best 3D pens to assist you. We are going to briefly outline the features of 7 TECH, MYN, IPESON and 3D Doodle printing pens which are some of the best 3D printing pens available.
Best 3D Printing Pens Selection Criteria
To make a fair list of the best 3D printing pens, we considered various essential criteria. The basic 3D pen is a cool device which requires connection to a power source before it starts producing thin liquid plastic that’s used to make drawings on surfaces such as on papers or in air. Needless to say, a lot of factors come into play which are all essential to your 3D drawing experience with the pen. Here are a few factors we considered, broadly summarised.
- Features – The liquid plastic needs to take minimal time to cool. The lesser assistance required to function, the better. The best 3d pens usually contain additional features that make them unique to the rest.
- Filament – The drawing plastic is held in the filament compartment. Filaments are crucial in determining the quality of drawing. Different types of filaments are currently available in the market. The best 3d printing pens make use of 3D filaments that can be discarded and replaced in the future.
- Manufacturer – Different companies and businesses have undertaken production of 3d printing pens and tout their products to be the best. It’s important to note that there are limited brand products that have shown convenience and high quality while functioning. Before purchase, the brand and manufacturer are essential considerations as it shines a light on the technology and quality employed into the pen.
- Reviews – User reviews are significant before the purchase of any best 3d pen. The best quality products tend to have good reviews from individuals who have used them before. We went ahead and talked to several users to get more knowledge on how their experience with the product was like. When going through online reviews, however, it’s wise to consult several websites.
The Best 3D Printing Pens Comparison
|IPESON PRINTING PEN||67 grams||6 × 2 × 4 inches||Yes||Buy now|
|3D DOODLER CREATIVE PEN||130 grams||7.5 × 1.5 × 4 inches||No||Buy now|
|MYNT 3D PRINTING PEN||272 grams||175 x 20 x 17 mm||No||Buy now|
|7TECH 3D PRINTING PEN||65 grams||7.3 x 1.6 x 1.1 inches||Yes||Buy now|
|GLYBY INTELLIGENT 3D PEN||68 grams||8.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches||No||Buy now|
|CREOPOP CORDLESS 3D PEN||0.7 pounds||7 x 1.2 x 1.2 inches||No||Buy now|
|3DSIMO MINI PRINTING PEN||40 grams||163 x 36 x 22 mm||Yes||Buy now|
|POLYES Q1 3D PEN||1.1 pounds||8.8 x 1 x 1.6 inches||No||Buy now|
|GENESIS 3D PRINTING PEN||48 grams||7.9 x 5 x 3 inches||Yes||Buy now|
|SOYAN 3D PRINTING PEN||0.7 pounds||1.2 x 7.4 x 1.7 inches||No||Buy now|
The 7Tech 3D printing pen boasts of improved functional efficiency due to the addition of extra features. The first among these features is the super responsive thermal control for regulation of operating temperature included in the 3d pen design. Next, the pen has an unclogging mechanism that prevents the liquid plastic from sticking to the filament around the nozzle region.
Lastly, the 3D pen has buttons that enable users to control the rate of extrusion. This feature is not available in most pens, and it allows you to set out your preferred extrusion speed no matter whether you need it to come out slowly or fast.
As we were carrying out our research, testing and review of this pen, we identified two issues that come with choosing this 3D pen. To begin with, the 3D pen does not come with a supply of filaments after purchase. This means that as a user, you are expected to go out in search of replacement filaments once the initial ones are entirely used.
Secondly, the pen can attain very high temperatures when in full operational mode. When using the 3D pen, it’s important to be aware of the high temperatures as they could lead to bodily harm and injuries when it comes into contact with your body.
With the descriptions made above, it’s clear that the 7Tech 3d printing pen is among the very best in the market. It can be used by children over eight years in addition to adults for different professional or artistic purposes. It’s suitable for use by amateurs as well as professionals. From our experience, while using the pen, we can guarantee that the 7Tech 3d pen is of fine quality and a top range product in 3D pens.
- Simple to use with virtually no learning curve.
- The pen is highly efficient and offers excellent utility. It comes with dual speed buttons which facilitate switching between rapid and slow as well as forward and backward movement.
- The unclogging system keeps the filament away from clogging once the device cools down.
- The spatula made of aluminum comes with the purchased pen package. It offers protection to your fingers to avoid injury from the hot flowing plastic.
- The pen is light in weight, and the size is perfect for hand working. The design is slim that enables easy grip and faster learning on how to use it.
- As a bonus, the 7Tech 3D pen comes with a one year warranty.
- It sometimes gives difficulties in use for beginners and amateurs. The 7Tech 3D printing pen proves to be a real challenge for a few first-time users. The plastic makes it hard for a proper grip.
- The nozzle compartment and surrounding areas may achieve very high temperatures that can cause injuries. One needs to be careful.
The MYN3D professional 3D printing pen makes it our list of the best 3d pens. This 3d pen came recently in 2016 to the market. It functions as a typical 3d printing pen making use of plastic as described in the introductory segment above. The 3d pen is also made unique in its ways by the features it supports.
The weight of the 3d pen is pretty low. This makes it suitable for use with a single hand. The pen is ideal for use with kids and children as it does not tire them while using it.
Double clicking the operating buttons makes the 3d pen extrude the plastic automatically. This means that you can continuously keep making your drawings without need to press buttons repeatedly.
Instead of an LCD screen, this pen comes with OLED display. The display gives the user information on the thermal characteristics of the 3d pen as it operates. This is what enables the user to manipulate and control the operating temperature of the device in the range of 1300 -2400 degrees Celsius.
This is achieved with minute increments or decrements of about 20 Celsius. This fine adjustment enables extruding smaller thickness of the material to make drawings.
This also helps in saving filament, making it economical for artists on a budget. It is also receptive to external temperature changes and can adjust well, unlike the other pens.
Consuming 10 watts of power with 5 volts of current, this great 3D printing pen can be used outdoors without trouble. This 3d pen is accepted by the Federal Communications Commission, the European conformity and the Restriction of the Hazardous Substances. This adds to the trust factor.
- Ease of use -This best 3D pen lets you sketch, draw and paint in three-dimensions almost effortlessly.
- Light and convenient weight –This pen is approximately 40 to 65 grams. That’s pretty less than the standard 80 to 100 grams you expect in most other devices.
- High speed – It is also simple to sketch with and has excellent control of speed.There is a variable option in the 3D printing pen which enables the artist to control the flow of the material according to your speed of drawing.
- Excellent looping – It also has three loop ABS filament of 1.75 mm each.
- Unique attractive design
- Flexible – This 3D printing pen is also highly flexible; one can draw any drawing ranging from a very tiny size to a big model
- Excellent Portability -This 3D pen is very easy to walk around with. A wall charger usually accompanies your order.
- Minimum guide information – insufficient information on how the temperature at the nozzle is to be adjusted.
- Exaggerated branding – Too much marketing hype that promises the moon leaves many feeling cheated.
The 3D Ipeson Printing pen is unique in its physical appearance compared to the other types of 3D printing pen; with the unique design with an LCD screen, it sure does work magic. The PLA filament components which are used in its manufacture are notable too.
The plastic filament enables the artist to make 3D drawings which can be possible on virtually all surfaces including in space. The Ipeson 3D printing pen gives the ability to choose each personalized plastic filament. It is less bulky and comfortable to work with.
- Easy to use for beginners as well as experts.
- Light and less bulky at only 65 grams.
- Almost effortless utility.
- The LCD screen adds a nice touch of detail.
- Designed with user safety as the main aim.
- High initial cost
- Insufficient Guide materials on the operation.
- Plastic can lessen the grip
It works much like a 3D lix printing pen with the only difference being that now you need not control the drawing using complicated computer software and other algorithms. It’s used hands- free to make drawings and decorations. The components and elements used in drawing are the same as a 3D lix printing pen.
Once purchased, the 3Doodler pen comes accompanied by 25 ABS and 25 PLA plastic filaments as opposed to other brands that supply their products with about 3 to 5 filaments. The pen is suitable for work in a wide range of different surfaces and especially on paper.
The concerns raised by customers have been reviewed in this version, and they no longer exist in this model. For those who prefer style with high efficiency, the 3Doodler Printing Pen is the best choice available for them in the market today.
This is a drawing pen that any artist and creator will go for to achieve the best decorations that can be loved by everyone. There is hardly a second tool to draw with as beautifully as the new 3Doodler Create.
- Suitable for use in Outdoor drawing with portable source of power supply
- Suitable for beginners and kids -this 3D printing pen is suitable for use even for amateurs and kids above the age of twelve.
- Wireless operation – unlike many electronics which have many wires around them which can easily cause accidents, these 3D pens are operated without a web of loose cables in your living or drawing space.
- The pen suffers a limited battery life. After a full charge it can only operate for a maximum of four hours. These problems force the user to either keep it plugged in, charge it every five hours or replace with a charged pair of the battery.
- It poses difficulties in making spatial drawings. 3D drawing is still not achievable since it is hardly possible to draw in space given that the structure has to have a stable base.
Despite the few demerits, the 3Doodler Create is bound to be a game changer in 3D drawing. Its smoothness and the number of filaments offered is unmatched.
Glyby Intelligent 3D Printing Pen
Glyby 3D printing pen disappoints in terms of looks. The cord is inconveniently short, the bright yellow body is an eyesore. But as far as functionality goes, there are no compromises. The heating, speed control and extrusion rate management are sure to impress you.
The pen is easy to handle with its conveniently located controls. The filament is quick to load, although a newbie might struggle to figure out when the tip is ready to draw with. The extrusion rate has modes; quick speed usually makes for thinner structure and vice versa, unless you are a pro at 3D drawing.
This 3d pen perhaps better serves the purposes of pro artists who know how to handle a 3D pen. You can on course have fun with it and try your hand at making flowers or writing your name, given its simple design. But for people trying to better their art, the pen’s general clumsiness and lack of a long enough wire could be upsetting.
- Easy access to buttons
- The user has control over parameters like speed and temperature.
- No issues with blocked tips.
- Quick heating
- Clumsy to hold
- Short cord necessitates an adapter, which might not be convenient to carry.
Crepop Cordless 3D Printing Pen
There’s no cords in the CreoPop, which is a much easier way to draw your artwork. What stands out with the CreoPop Cordless 3D Printing Pen is the radical change in the design that not only enhances the look but also the accessibility the device offers. There’s a lot of ink packages to choose from as well, from normal to glitter, glow in the dark and even aromatic inks.
The device is easy to load. There are no filaments, rather the ink comes in cartridges you can load by opening the device right at the middle. The speed settings are pretty neat, with a simple, no-nonsense LED marking interface.
Curing the ink is an issue in some ink packages. The ink can take time to dry/solidify, and so the 3D pen also includes a LED contraption that dries your artwork faster. The ink is made of photopolymer, which hardens with the light the LED provides. This is better since there are no exposed hot parts that can scald fingers of children, making it very kid friendly.
- The pen’s design is pretty neat and attractive. This is a major benefit the CrePop offers; it doesn’t look like something a toddler drew in art class.
- The nozzle doesn’t jut out, which is safer since there is hardly any hot surface exposed.
- The multitude of ink packages are especially lucrative; they can be turned into some pretty interesting artwork.
- It can be prohibitively expensive for some, given even the cartridges are essentially the company’s monopoly.
- USB-only charging makes it hard to charge on the go.
3DSIMO Mini 3D Printing Pen
Sleekness was missing in the original 3dsimo, so they thinned out the design and we now have perhaps the best 3D pen in the market, the 3dsimo mini. The pen has its own app, a powerful, detatchable, rechargeable power storage and several tools, all wrapped in a delicate looking sleek ivory white body.
3dsimo mini is an all rounder. It can help you draw in 3 dimensions, as well as solder, burn-draw over wood and also cut soft material like styrofoam or thermocol using heat. The drawing board is significantly better than what most 3D pens offer. The pen is capable of operating with the usual power supply as well.
More adapters are promised in the future, which ensures more utility. 50 grams is a pretty low weight for a versatile device like this. It is also incredibly intelligent, automatically detecting new tips, and has a magnetic adapter for power which ensures you don’t have to fumble around. The mobile app allows easier control, though it is not all that useful since the device can be controlled by the hand pretty effortlessly.
- The pen supports 4 functions; burning, 3d drawing, foam cutting and wire soldering. More functions are expected.
- There is no hot tip permanently attached to the device; just detatch the tip and you’re good.
- The pen doesn’t heat up terribly like most other 3D pens do, and that makes it incredibly comfortable to use.
- The detachable tips are also small in size, and hence easy to lose.
- The mobile app doesn’t do much other than provide tutorials and templates which would have been better located on the site.
POLYES Q1 3D Printing Pen
Again, the design isn’t all that striking, and inconvenient too, especially since the tip is so short in the face of a huge cross section of the pen’s own body. But the pen is a lot more affordable than the most common 3D pens.
No hot parts in the 3D pen are a boon for people looking for 3D printing pens for kids. It also turns off the harsh light when the tip is turned upwards to protect the eyes. This is especially helpful in case of the UV variant. The mode can of course be overridden using the reset button.
Polyes Q1 could easily be the best 3D Printing Pen for the Price it is available at. The ink cartridges are a bit prohibitively expensive, yes. But they last longer than most other pens. There are also temperature sensitive inks as well as aromatic and glow-in-the-dark ones.
- Multiple Inks are really worth the money you spend to buy them.
- The pen has a child safety lock to prevent them from damaging their eyes, and no exposed hot parts and no odors as well.
- Polyes Q1 is among the most affordable 3D Printing Pens in the market, with the most competitive price.
GENESIS 3D PRINTING PEN
Genesis 3D Printing Pen is one of the best 3D Printing Pens for you if you are a beginner. It definitely has a learning curve, and it can come in handy to learn how to keep the strand of plastic still and release measured amounts in precise ways to make artwork.
The 3d, pen works when connected to a power source, so the difficulty with cords is definitely a part of the deal. The pen is pretty cheap, which somewhat justifies the general lack of finesse. Inserting the filament is easier than some expensive plastic filament based models, though.
The drawing is fairly straightforward; press a button and the ink comes out. You can control the rate of the ink’s flow, but higher temperatures require you to be more patient. Or maybe turn on the Air Conditioning for a slightly quicker solidification.
- This 3d pen is fat in design, but still easy to grip.
- A good pen for beginners and a cheap option for people looking to kill time making their best 3D Pen Drawings.
- The cooling can take time, especially the more you heat the filament (duh..)
- The pen’s cord could be a restriction to where you can use it.
SOYAN 3D Printing Pen
The Soyan 3D Pen is also pretty ordinary in appearance, but it packs a punch. The pen’s design locates buttons conveniently, which helps you control most aspects of the pen’s drawing while you’re giving birth to your artwork. The tip gets pretty hot, so beware. It is also one of the cheapest 3D Printing Pens available in the market right now.
The filaments are easy to insert, load and can be bought for cheap online. There are no fancy options like temperature sensitive or aromatic inks, but it is sensible since the 3d pen works by heating the filament. The plastic does smell quite a bit however.
For people looking for the best beginner’s 3D Printing Pen, Soyan’s 3D Printing Pen could be a nice option under $100. The filament and electricity consumption doesn’t increase the price a lot either, which cannot be said for many other devices in the same price range.
- A good cheap option for people looking to experiment with 3D drawing.
- The design is pretty ergonomic.
- You’ll probably find the smell pretty offensive.
- The hot tip can hurt kids, we recommend keeping an eye on your child when they try their hand at using the device.
The 3D printing technology industry is relatively new, but the market is full of different products. With our comparison of the best 3D printing pens, we hope we’ve helped point out some subtle but important differences between the top contenders.
In conclusion, it’s evident that all the 3D printing pens have suitable features which can be utilized in artistic drawing and decorations, so you need to pick a model that suits your specific need, style of art and any other specification you might want to entertain.